International Piano and Strings Competition 2016
The American Protégé International Piano and Strings Competition 2016 is open to school students and adults of all nationalities and countries.
All instruments, including piano, strings, voice and winds are welcome to participate in the Competition.
Participants are required to submit video/audio recording materials for the audition.
American Protege Piano and Strings Competition 2014 Scholarship Award
Winners have been featured on The Ellen DeGeneres TV Show :
We invite school students and adults to participate in the Competition. There is no age limit for the adult participants.
Multiple winners will be chosen in each of the following age groups:
|6 - 10||Amateur without professional degree|
|11 - 14||College students and professional musicians|
|15 - 18|
Winners will perform at Weill Recital Hall at Carnegie Hall in New York City.
Winners Concerts will take place on
Saturday, April 23, 2016 at 1:00 PM at the Weill Recital Hall at Carnegie Hall
Sunday, May 1, 2016 at 1:00 PM at Weill Recital Hall at Carnegie Hall
Saturday, May 21, 2016 at 7:30 PM at Weill Recital Hall at Carnegie Hall
Monday, May 30, 2016 (Memorial Day) at 7:30 PM at Weill Recital Hall
Saturday, July 2, 2016 at 1:00 PM at Weill Recital Hall at Carnegie Hall
Sunday, July 3, 2016 at 7:30 PM at Weill Recital Hall at Carnegie Hall in New York City
Judges' Distinction Award and other Special Awards may be granted based on the judges recommendations.
Four qualified judges will evaluate audition materials. All judges are independent; their students are not allowed to apply this season.
Dr. Sophya Genis is invited as a Chairwoman of the Competition 2016. A graduate of the Moscow Gnessin Academy of Music, Mrs. Genis holds a Doctor of Music Arts Degree. She studied piano with such renowned professors as Alexander Yoheles, Yakov Milstein and Yakov Zak.
How to Apply
To apply for the Competition participants must submit:
A completed online Application Form.
A DVD/CD recording of their performance (video preferable), or a link to a YouTube video of their performance.
A biography of the applicant in MS Word format (not to exceed 150 words). Include past participations in competitions, festivals and other public events. Portrait photo in electronic format, to be used for the Competition brochure printing. Examples could be found at http://www.americanprotege.com/InternetFall2011.htm
Biography and photo should be sent via e-mail to email@example.com
Mail DVD/CD and Application Fee to: American Protégé, P.O. Box 287476, New York, NY 10128
International participants must use express shipment services to the following street address and provide the tracking number.
The application packages acceptance will be closed on January 20, 2016 (application materials must be in American Protege office).
Application Fee for solo performers - $160
Application Fees for ensemble members (duo, trio and quartet participants) in all categories are reduced to $110 per person
Application Fees are not refundable.
U. S. participants should make a check or money order payable to American Protégé.
International participants may use:
• Certified bank check payable to American Protégé
• International money order payable to American Protégé
• PayPal (See bottom of this page).
American Protégé Piano and Strings Competition Rules:
1. Audition time limit for the application DVD:
|Category||Age||Recital Performance Time limit||First Piece (required)||Additional repertoire (optional, no time limit)|
|Young Musicians||6 - 10||5 minutes||Not to exceed 5 minutes in duration||Any one piece from the Standard Repertoire|
|Junior||11 - 14||6 minutes||Not to exceed 6 minutes in duration||Any one piece from the Standard Repertoire|
|Intermediate||15 - 18||6 minutes||Not to exceed 6 minutes in duration||Any one piece from the Standard Repertoire|
|Amateur||18 and up||6 minutes||Not to exceed 6 minutes in duration||Any one piece from the Standard Repertoire|
|College Studants and Professionals||18 and up||7 minutes||Not to exceed 7 minutes in duration||Any one piece from the Standard Repertoire|
Multiple winners will be chosen in each category.
Participants who submitted first piece (required repertoire) longer than performance time limit should provide another piece within performance time limit and pay additional $50 fee for the second audition.
Extra performance time up to 1 minute can be accepted for the Winners Recital with $100 additional fee.
2. Repertoire Requirements:
- Applicant may choose one or two pieces from the standard repertoire (Baroque, Classical, Romantic or Contemporary periods).
- One movement of Sonata could be accepted as a separate piece.
- First (required) piece will be included into the Winners Recital program if the participant is selected as a winner.
- Only one piece could be performed at the Winners Recital. Set of different works is not acceptable for the Winners Recital.- Only original pieces will be accepted for pianists, no shortened versions.
3. Only un-edited video can be accepted for the audition (no video clips).
4. Recordings should be a fair representation of the Contestant's abilities, but need not be of a professional quality. Recording materials must be labeled.
5. Contestants must perform from memory. No repeats. Music for the ensembles does not have to be memorized.
6. The DVD/CD will not be returned.
7. Judges comments will not be disclosed. Judges' decisions are final and can't be appealed.
8. First Prize Winners may not submit the same audition program for the following season.
9. The final selection of winners will be based solely on the audio/video recordings submitted.
10. Winners of the Competition will perform one piece selected by the judges from the participant's audition repertoire.
11. No changes to biographical information are allowed after the application is submitted.
12. Competition results will be published on American Protégé web-site on February 27, 2016.
13. The Certificates will be granted to the performing winners only, after the Winners Recital.
14. Winners who have chosen not to participate in the Winners Recital for any reason may be disqualified.
Winners Recital Information:
To pay the Application Fee on-line please select the payment amount from the drop-down window and click on the button below. By clicking on the button you will be re-directed to PayPal